Welcome to the JABSOM Genomics Core Facility
Genomics Core Facilty ServicesCurrently we are offering services in the areas of qPCR, Microarray, Sequencing, and Other Genomic Services. If you have recurring processes that you would like to automate or have us take over, we would be glad to sit down and talk with you to discuss how we can help you acheive your goals.
We are aiming to be a self-sustaining entity consisting solely on a chargeback system. Our prices reflect the costs of equipment service contracts, potential and actual maintenence costs, as well as direct and indirect labor costs and administration. Our costs are kept low by being able to provide services in bulk with high throughput, it is therefore sometimes necessary to have minimum orders or fees in order to maintain a positive cost structure.
In March of 2009 the Cardiovascular and Ob/Gyn departments initiated a project to establish a Genomics Core Facility here at JABSOM to serve the needs of the campus, UH Manoa, and Hawaii. The scope of services offered may expand or contract depending on needs but we currently offer services in the areas of microarrays, real-time PCR, sequencing, as well as additional equipment and services as needed.
We would like as much feedback as possible in these initial stages to help establish the services that would be beneficial to the greatest number of researchers.
The supervisor for the core is Steffen Oeser. He worked for 8 years at Illumina, Inc and served in numerous roles including Lab Manager, Assay Developer, Product Developer, and Project Manager
Current ServicesReal Time/Quantitative PCR
Biomek Liquid Handling Robots
Fluorescent (Cy3/Cy5) Sample Labeling
Request FormsBioanalyzer Request Form (.xls)
Microarray Request Form (.xls)
qPCR Request Form (.xls)
Sequencing Request Form (.xls)
Why use the JABSOM Genomics Core Service?
- Automation - We automate many of the steps in our process to generate reproducible, quality data.
- Experience - The Genomics Core Director, Steffen Oeser, has over 7 years experience performing assay and product development
in a high throughput Biotech company, Illumina, Inc.
- Quality - We regularly service and maintain our core equipment. A majority of our equipment is under service contract to ensure that data is reliable
- Protocols - We have detailed protocols for every step of every service. All experiments are performed exactly the same way, every time.
- Speed - For even the most complex of services, data can be returned within the week. For some of our basic services, turnaround is within 24 hours.
- Pricing - Currently our pricing is extremely affordable compared to other service providers. Keep in mind that our equipment and services are geared towards high-throughput processes.
Optimal pricing is based on running a full plate of samples for such processes as qPCR and sequencing. Fewer than a full plate of samples will mean higher per-sample charges.
Estimates for all pricing is calculated on the request forms so surprise charges are not possible. You will never pay more than what is quoted on a request form.